Re: How to share a common partition as home

Parameshwara Bhat wrote:

Hello list,

I try different distros of Linux on different partitions from time to time. I want to move all my /home folders to a common partition so that across all distros I can share it by mounting on home. When I implemented it,I faced a problem. users do not get write permission on this partition in spite of specific option to that effect in fstab.

/dev/hdb6 /home ext3 defaults,users,acl,user_xattr 1 2

I get the same error in all distributions. I cannot launch DM in user account as there is no write permission available.

Could somebody point out where is the mistake ?

Thanking in advance,

Paramehswara Bhat

On a typical system, /home is used for user configuration directories and for user data directories. Each distribution has its own take on configuration, so sharing configurations from system to system is not a good idea.

Instead of putting your user data in /home, create a separate partition and call it something like /data where you will put all non-configuration type data such as word processing files, etc. This can be shared between your various distributions, provided the userid and groupid is the same on these systems. If you have a system where userid, groupid are different, you can create a group on that system with the id used on the other systems and make yourself a member of that group on that system. You may have to change the group permissions on your /data partition to 775 to be able to modify files in that partition.

Hope this helps.

Gerry Tool