Re: no linking from /usr/local/lib since FC2

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Brian Richardson wrote:

> OK. You're wrong. /usr/local/lib is not a standard search path, nor is
> it in the ld.so.conf in FC1.

You're right. I checked.

I jumped to conclusions. When I compiled subversion
on FC1 it Just Worked, and when I compiled the same release in
FC2 it didn't. But it did work when I symlinked the libraries in
/usr/local/lib to /usr/lib.

Running strace, I see that on FC1 it is finding the libraries in
my build directory.

I wonder how it is doing that?

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> To match ld.so.conf with GCC's expectations, simply add /usr/local/lib
> to ld.so.conf and make sure it has precedence over /usr/lib.

..

> Some people consider it to be a bug/inconsistency in all RH-based
> distributions, others say "/usr/local" is beyond the scope of a
> distributor's responsibility and therefore consider
> adding /usr/local/lib to ld.so.conf to be task of a local system
> administrator ;-)

So many distribution INSTALLs and READMEs just say './configure
&& make && make install' and have a default prefix of
'/usr/local'. They never say anything about having to check your
libraries in /usr/local not being loaded by default at runtime.

I'm wondering why I've never been bitten by this before.

--
Greg Matheson