Re: Using Norton to Clone FC2

We used ghost 7.5 for FC1 + ext3 + GRUB with success. You must make sure
when you create the image that you run "ghost -id" . Then just dump it
on the target machine and reboot.

Serge

Ryan McDougall wrote: > Serge, > > So when we create the image we run "ghost -id" on the computer that > had been started up with the boot disks, right? What does the "-id" > mean? Is it a switch that ghost recognizes or is it supposed to be an > "id" that I should know and replace with my corresponding "id"? > > Thank you by the way for all the help so far

Yes, you run "ghost -id" on the master computer, the one you are creating the image from. I usually boot off the ghost floppy, then when I get to the ghost menu I exit it and I am dropped to a command prompt (A:\GHOST), then I just type "ghost -id", this will restart the GUI.

Afterwards when dumping to clients the -id switch is not required, just proceed as usual

"id" is a switch. It is hard to find the info if you do not know what you are looking for. This http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2001111413481325?Open&src=&docid=19

should give you the information. It says that "id" makes a sector-by-sector copy (you will find you will have a pretty big ghost image as all sectors are copied compared with a win ghost) of the disk including the entire boot track etc.

As a side note I also found
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1999021909463125?Open&src=&docid=2000033111503625&nsf=ghost.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

Which says that you have to reinstall GRUB. I guess they are not aware of the "id" switch. Good thing they actually make and market the product...so much for proprietary systems support... ;)

Hope this helps.

Serge