Re: FC3: snd-intel8x0m, modprobe.conf, /etc/hotplug/blacklist

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:25:49 -0500, Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dexter Ang (thepoch@xxxxxxxxx) said:
>
> > install snd-intel8x0m /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0m &&
> > /usr/local/sbin/slmodemd --alsa --country=PHILIPPINES --perm=0666
> > modem:1 >/dev/null 2>&1 &
> >
> > in /etc/modprobe.conf so that upon loading of my modem's alsa driver,
> > it would also load the slmodemd binary.
> >
> > Now, I've noticed that in FC3, this driver (snd-intel8x0m) gets loaded
> > automatically. I had placed it in /etc/hotplud/blacklist so that it
> > doesn't get loaded by hotplug automatically, hoping that the setting
> > in my modprobe.conf gets used instead. Well that doesn't seem to work
> > as upon booting up, snd-intel8x0m doesn't get loaded. I can manually
> > load it, and the slmodemd also gets loaded.
>
> Um... the 'install' line in modprobe.conf just tells it what
> to do when the module is requested. It doesn't actually
> cause the module to get loaded at all.
>
> Bill

Is there any way to actually know who is loading the snd-intel8x0m
module? I'm assuming it has something to do with hal udev or hotplug
(sorry, I'm not familiar with the actual implementation). Anyway, if
they load the module, shouldn't it still look through the
modprobe.conf for any options, etc?

Anyway, here's the situation again.

I've put into modprobe.conf the following:

install snd-intel8x0m /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0m &&
touch /tmp/slmodem-loading

which obviously means that on loading the drivers, it should touch a
file in /tmp called slmodem-loading. well once the computer has booted
i check through lsmod, and it has loaded snd-intel8x0m. but there is
no /tmp/slmodem-loading. If I do it manually, it creates the file
/tmp/slmodem-loading.

Would this be a bug that whatever is first loading snd-intel8x0m does
not seem to be loading whatever I've set in modprobe.conf? How do I
figure out who is loading snd-intel8x0m on first run?

Thanks!

dex