Re: FC3 HD Install Procedure ?

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 10:24 +0900, Mitsuho Iizuka wrote:
> Could you give me a exact procedure or URLs to install FC3 from free
> HDD(7GB). For some reasons, CD-R or DVD-R is not available for me.
>
> The current configuration is as follows,
>
>    HD(0) MBR(grub)
>          1st partition: WinXP
>          2nd partition: Empty <- downloaded install program here
>    HD(1) alive FC1+grub.conf  <- FC3 destination
>
> 1. is the installer FC3-i386-DVD.iso ? or ....
> 2. file modification required to boot above installer ? how ?
> 3. grub.conf descriptions to boot above installer
>
> Those question might be FAQ, at this moment I can't find any resource
> about that in fedora-list, fedora-web, google. Thanks in advance.
>
> // M. Iizuka

By install program, do you mean that you have downloaded FC3-i386-
DVD.iso to /dev/hda2 ?  What filesystem is on that partition?  Assuming
yes and a suitable filesystem, read on.

Here is how to set up a HD install.  First, create a temporary mount
point:
    mkdir /mnt/tmp.  Then, mount the DVD image:
    mount -o loop /partition2_name/FC3-i386-DVD.iso /mnt/tmp
As root, create an installer directory:
    mkdir /boot/installer
Copy install image to /boot:

cp /mnt/tmp/isolinux/vmlinuz /mnt/tmp/isolinux/initrd.img /boot/installer
Add installer menu to /boot/grub/grub.conf:
    title Install FC3
            root (hd1,x)  #replace x with whatever your kernel section
uses
            kernel /boot/installer/vmlinuz
            initrd /boot/installer/initrd.img

Then you should be able to reboot and select Install FC3 from the grub
menu.  Select HD Install and then enter the path to the DVD iso.  When
installing/upgrading, you may want to _NOT_ reformat /boot just to
ensure that if an error occurs, you will still be able to try the
install again.

Kevin Freeman