root can startx, user can't

Successful install of FC3 onto blank media.
As of 2am, PST, yum is up to date.

Trying to install Nvidia's video drivers. (GeForce 4 card)

Followed the intructions in Nvidia's readme.

I copied the nvidia* files from /dev to /etc/udev/devices.
And chown'd the copied filed to root.root.

root can now have fun in Xwindows.

User etanisla can't.

After typing startx at the prompt, the screen flashes to the graphical,
and I only get to the first icon, "Metacity window manager". And that is
where it hangs. Ctrl-Alt-F1 back to the text, and I see:

"*** glibc detected *** corrupted double-linked list: 0x08a9ebd0***
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc-common: line 45:  4690 Aborted             xmodmap
"$sysmodmap"

Plus a whole bunch of other stuff, but I'm willing to bet that the other
stuff is dependent on getting past THAT line.

I've googled but believe it or not, have come up dry.

Any suggestions?