Re: FC3 questions - login screen, sound card

Drew, Bill wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Drew, Bill
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 10:16 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: FC3 questions - login screen, sound card

I have successfully installed FC3 this morning. I have two problems or
annoyances.

The text in the default login menu is so small I can't read it. That is
also the case for any of the other GNOME login screens. What can I do
to change it?

The second annoyance is the lack of sound. The computer I installed FC3
on is a IBM PC 300GL #62756OU. The sound card is a Sound Blaster 16 Pro
compatible PCI card. There is no sound at all and when I click on the
speaker icon I get the slide control but when I click on preferences
nothing shows up in the audio channels list. Clicking on "Open Volume
Control" gets me the error "Sorry, no mixer elements and/or drivers
found." At this point I would be happy to get a squeal or beep out of
the internal PC speaker.

Please give me detailed help if possible.  I am a Linux newbie.

Bill Drew

I haven't gotten any responses to my two problems yet.  Does that mean
there is no solution to either one or that it is not interesting enough
to get an answer from someone?

Bill Drew

Many times when questions go unanswered, it is because there isn't enough detail given for people to sink their teeth into. Also, I've found that posting single questions works better than the multiple question message.

Do you mean that the text is too small on the GDM login screen? If not, exactly which screen are you referring to?

As far as the sound goes, you might try to run "/sbin/lsmod" to see if a likely looking module for your soundcard is loaded. Then, go out and see what Google can do for you. I found this troubleshooting page:
http://www.linuxforum.com/redhat/s1-fun-sndconfig.html

Also, read over your /var/log/messages file for hints. If you find anything notable, let us know, or pop it into Google.

Best regards,

--
Mitch Wiedemann
mc^2 Computer Consulting