which version of yum to use for FC3/+ Sound Card problems?

I am a newbie at linux and i want to add the various apps and plug in's  and from my basic reading i found that to update package everybody is using yum instead of current and up2date. cool. the problem is i don't see a stable version of yum for FC3? Is the a way to get around dis problem? what can i use. And is there a good how to link for yum (cuz dis all new to me, so what may be trival to must is a bit harder for me)

ps i am have problems with my sound card and FC3, FC3 dectects it for i don't hear any think form the speakers

1. what way to slove dis problem?
2.If i need to buy a new sound card what is a good one for Linux Fedora?