Re: [Off Topic] Burning DVDs

Robin Laing wrote:
Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:

I've had the same problem on two different systems (different hardware
and software):

FC2 running Linux version 2.6.8-1.521 with a SONY DVD RW DRU-510A drive.
The processor is an intel Pentium III
FC3 running Linux version 2.6.9-1.667 with a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S drive.
The processor is an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+

I'm aware of the problem with kernel versions.  With kernels at or after
2.6.8, I haven't been able to run gcombust at all or cdrecord except as
root, but I have successfully made CDs using k3e.  I have been able to
burn one DVD successfully, namely the one for the AMD system,
(FC3-x86_64-DVD.iso) on the FC2 system.

I have not had similar problems burning CDs.  These are my first
attempts to burn DVDs, either data or video.

Thanks - jon

As you state, this is your first attempt to burn DVD's. It reminds me of a friend that couldn't burn any DVD's with a Lite-on burner and Kodak media. Turned out that there was a problem with the media. He returned it to the store for a full refund. Using different media, he has no problems. All this was within Win2k, not linux.

Perhaps the following link is useful, Slashdot recently pointed to an Anandtech article about the new 16x DVD burners out there, and trials and tribulations concerning the different drives and various media!

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/01/2352222&tid=198&tid=137&tid=164&tid=1

Their conclusion was to be cognizant of the diferences in the drives and the media, and even explains the different error rates of the drives....
As I recall, the Lite-On drive was one of the more error-prone with certain media....

I have made three DVD coasters out of ~100 DVD burns. All attempts at burning that were not normal.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx