Re: [Off Topic] Burning DVDs

Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:

I've had the same problem on two different systems (different hardware
and software):

FC2 running Linux version 2.6.8-1.521 with a SONY DVD RW DRU-510A drive.
	The processor is an intel Pentium III
FC3 running Linux version 2.6.9-1.667 with a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S drive.
	The processor is an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+

I'm aware of the problem with kernel versions.  With kernels at or after
2.6.8, I haven't been able to run gcombust at all or cdrecord except as
root, but I have successfully made CDs using k3e.  I have been able to
burn one DVD successfully, namely the one for the AMD system,
(FC3-x86_64-DVD.iso) on the FC2 system.

I have not had similar problems burning CDs.  These are my first
attempts to burn DVDs, either data or video.

Thanks - jon

As you state, this is your first attempt to burn DVD's. It reminds me of a friend that couldn't burn any DVD's with a Lite-on burner and Kodak media. Turned out that there was a problem with the media. He returned it to the store for a full refund. Using different media, he has no problems. All this was within Win2k, not linux.

I have made three DVD coasters out of ~100 DVD burns. All attempts at burning that were not normal.

--
Robin Laing