Re: Fedora Core 3 - upgrade notes

----- Original Message ----- From: "Some Things"
 I got this message lots ... maybe 25 times during the whole install.
 There's a button to retry however, and this is my point, there is no way
 to SKIP the package.

Maybe this is a dma bug for particular chipsets. I put together AMD Shuttle boxes, and get this very regularly with FC 1 and FC 2. I just click retry and it keeps going.

I have installed FC 3 yet. I would hope that they won't do that "dependency calculation" when I do a "Install Everything" install. Why check dependencies when I'm installing everything?? I never understood that.

 There are many screen mode changes as it switches to Kudzu.  It
seems to have curses

I think this is an old issue because of the i18n internationalization causing the screen to flicker - go figure.

- Why not merge the zip and unzip packages just like both gzip and
gunzip are in the same package

I think it would be a good idea to start putting together large "CAB" files for the distro. That way the whole system is on the drive but not neccessarily installed. However, yum/rpm would have to be smart enough to *update* the cab file which would be a major advantage over M$soft's way.

I'm getting tired of swapping cd's whenever I could just copy over cab files and kickstart install from there. I know there's ftp/http/iso loopback installs that kind of do this but they're to dependant on other stuff.

-eric wood