Re: Mail client - run a program when receive an email

Hardy Merrill wrote:
> I'm thinking of creating a football pool email app - I
> know this has probably been done a thousand times
> before, but I'd like to do it myself just for fun.
>
> My thought is to send members of the pool an email
> listing all the games, and having each member respond
> to the email with their picks.  My app would take in
> each email and run a script - the script would parse
> the email and ... etc.

Sounds like a classic example for a .forward file, at least if you can
set up a special user for the footy app.

Placing a line
| /home/footy/footy.sh
into /home/footy/footy.sh should do the trick, although depending on
your e-mail server, you may need to authorise the server to run it. This
looks a reasonable reference:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/244951

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |