Re: Mail client - run a program when receive an email

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 12:46, Hardy Merrill wrote:
> For every email I receive I'd like to run a program
> and have the program have access to the data in the
> email.  It's been a while since I've used email on Red
> Hat/Fedora (I got lazy and have been using yahoo mail)
> - I used to use mutt with fetchmail and procmail but
> never used that combination for anything like this.
> Can it do that?  Can procmail kick off a program and
> give the program the contents of the mail as input?
>
> What other email clients can do that?  Can evolution?

Do you want the program to modify the email and pass it on or just
analyze data in the email?

If you want to modify the message and pass it along in it's modified
form then you probably want to look at using procmail.  There are many
things you can do to a message in procmail including modifying headers
and piping the message through another script or program.  You can even
pass just the headers or the body of the message to the pipe or the
whole thing.

In evolution you can pipe the message to a an external script or program
(such as spamassassin) but it will only get a return code, you can not
modify the content of the message through evolution filters.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

If you would understand your own age, read the works of fiction produced
in it.  People in disguise speak freely.