Re: Help Configuring Samba

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:24:11 +0100, shrek-m@xxxxxx <shrek-m@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Stormblaze wrote:
>
> >># service smb status
> >>smbd (PID 4766 4759) wird ausgeführt...
> >>nmbd (PID 4763) wird ausgeführt...
> >>

> make sure that your smbd- and "nmbd"-services are running

I do a ps -A and I see two instances of smbd listed but yet swat
doesn't report it as running.

> >>"master browser" "nmbd.log"
> >>

> in the nmbd.log you should have an entry about an master-browser
> this can take a while, ca. 10 minutes ?

Yes I see this entry. I also saw something I'm not sure is right. The
entry reads:

 Samba name server LINUXSERVER is now a local master browser for
workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet xxx

Where xxx is my outside IP. Is that supposed to be set to that? Or to
my local IP?

> >># tail -f /var/log/samba/*
> >>==> /var/log/samba/nmbd.log <==
> >>
> >>  Samba name server XP1800 is now a local master browser for workgroup
> >>MYGROUP on subnet 192.168.101.20
> >>
> >>  *****
> >>[2004/11/10 18:57:50, 0]
> >>nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(396)
> >>  *****
> >>
> >>  Samba name server XP1800 is now a local master browser for workgroup
> >>MYGROUP on subnet 192.168.2.11
> >>
> >Shrek I don't understand what you're trying to tell me.
> >

> make sure that all your clients are in the same workgroup
> your XP-user exist in the /etc/samba/smbpasswd

Yes. For testing I'm logging in as adminstrator and there is an entry
in this file

root = administrator admin

> you have disabled the XP-firewall for your lan

I run iptables on the linux server and NPF on my local machine.
However, since even on the same box swat has stopped reporting that
smbd is running....

> in your smb.conf  your_share_section you should evtl. have
> "browseable = yes"
> and you should evtl. remove
> "username = nobody"

I removed the username nobody thing.

> and you could try in the global-section
> "hosts allow = <your_subnet>"
> "encrypt passwords = yes"

Changed it to this.

I also tried adding the interfaces option and forcing it to be my
local one so samba sets up as browser for my local subnet.

The problem I'm having right now though is that earlier today I was
able to start the smbd daemon through swat and it's status showed
running. Same for the nmbd. However, right now the smbd isn't showing
as running from swat. nmbd does.

If I do a ps -A I see two instances of smbd running. At this point I
can't even get to where I  was earlier.
--
"We should have a way of telling people they have bad breath without
hurting their feelings. Like: Well I'm bored. Let's go brush our