FC3 and evdev driver

In tryping to get my Synaptics touchpad working I notice the following statement at http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/index.html#TroubleShoot :

How do I use this driver with Linux kernel 2.6.x?

   You need to have the "evdev" driver loaded or compiled into the
   kernel (CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV). Set the "Protocol" parameter in the X
   configuration file to "auto-dev". Also, if you set the "Device"
   parameter to "/dev/psaux", the same X configuration file should work
   for a 2.4.x kernel.

Is this true?

lsmod | grep evdev displays nothing. Does this mean that I am not running this driver? Do I need to recompile the kernel to get it? (I can't believe that people are recompiling to kernel to get this common type of touchpad working).

Frank.