Re: FC3, Sharp MM20, Synaptics touch pad

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Frank wrote:

> Satish Balay wrote:
>
> > What do you mean? FC3 already has 'synaptics' driver included - so you are
> > overwriting this dirver?
> >
> > [balay@n-gage ~]$ rpm -q synaptics
> > synaptics-0.13.5-5
> >

> Thanks for responding Satish .
>
> I tried the included driver without success.  I noted that 0.13.6 was
> available, and the release notes cited improved kernal 2.6.9 compatibility, so
> I downloaded it, built it, and installed it.  That all seemed to be painless.
>
> > > (**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
> > > (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/psaux
> > >

> > Did you copy/manually create your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file? The above setting
> > is for FC1-ish X11 - not FC2 or FC3
> >
> > I would sugest running system-config-display - and create a fresh
> > xorg.conf file - and trying again.
> >
> When I couldn't  get the touchpad recognized, I installed using a USB mouse.
> I have edited the xorg.conf to include touchpad  support, as per instructions
> I found from people who had successfully installed Linux on the same model of
> laptop that I have.  Of course they were not using FC3.  If something has
> changed in that regard I would sure appreciate pointers!
>
> I have narrowed down my problem somewhat.  The driver requires device nodes
> /dev/input/event[012], but only 0 and 1 are present.  I have created event2
> with the correct  major/minoir numbers, but after each reboot it is gone
> again.  Likewise I have done a "MAKEDEV psaux" and verified that it worked,
> but after a reboot this node is also gone again.
>
> Under what circumstances are device nodes removed during a reboot?

Don't know enough about MAKEDEV (or event[012]) - but the FC2/FC3
change in xorg-x11 was:

/dev/psaux -> /dev/input/mice

And if you have multiple devices - maybe they'll appear as
/dev/input/mouse0, mouse1 etc.

You could try making this change - and see if it works. I thought
'system-config-*' tools configured 'synaptics' correctly (perhaps
system-config-mouse)

Satish