Re: FC3, Sharp MM20, Synaptics touch pad

Satish Balay wrote:

What do you mean? FC3 already has 'synaptics' driver included - so you are
overwriting this dirver?

[balay@n-gage ~]$ rpm -q synaptics
synaptics-0.13.5-5

Thanks for responding Satish .

I tried the included driver without success. I noted that 0.13.6 was available, and the release notes cited improved kernal 2.6.9 compatibility, so I downloaded it, built it, and installed it. That all seemed to be painless.

(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/psaux

Did you copy/manually create your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file? The above setting is for FC1-ish X11 - not FC2 or FC3

I would sugest running system-config-display - and create a fresh
xorg.conf file - and trying again.

When I couldn't get the touchpad recognized, I installed using a USB mouse. I have edited the xorg.conf to include touchpad support, as per instructions I found from people who had successfully installed Linux on the same model of laptop that I have. Of course they were not using FC3. If something has changed in that regard I would sure appreciate pointers!

I have narrowed down my problem somewhat. The driver requires device nodes /dev/input/event[012], but only 0 and 1 are present. I have created event2 with the correct major/minoir numbers, but after each reboot it is gone again. Likewise I have done a "MAKEDEV psaux" and verified that it worked, but after a reboot this node is also gone again.

Under what circumstances are device nodes removed during a reboot?

Frank.