Re: Speeding up Evo 2.0 and spamassassin

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 09:24, Mark Haney wrote:
> I typically get a couple hundred messages in my Inbox every morning at
> work.  I upgraded to FC3 yesterday and didn't notice this issue, but
> pulling my messages down with spamassassin running is KILLING my speed.
> Is there any way (other than not using spamd) to speed this up a bit?

If you are using a filter in your email client to run spamassassin you
should run that filter after you have processed mailing list messages.
Just make sure you stop processing your filters after moving the mailing
list messages to another folder.

This bypasses spamassassin for messages which rarely contain spam and
only uses resources to check those that are more likely to be spam.

If the bulk of the messages are not from mailing lists but are
legitimate email messages then you are just to popular.  :)

If on the other hand the bulk of these messages are spam and you have
control of the MTA they are being sent to then I recommend you implement
greylisting.  This will prevent 95% or more of the spam messages from
ever getting on to your system. One system I implemented greylisting on
was getting 3000 to 6000 spam messages a day, after greylisting it was
getting 4 to 8 spam messages a day.  I was seeing the system at times
getting bogged down trying to process all those spam messages through
spamassassin.  It almost reached the level of a DOS attack.  After
implementing greylisting the problem was resolved.  Very few spam get
through and spamassassin has no problem tagging those.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

It's hard to think of you as the end result of millions of years of evolution.