Re: Speeding up Evo 2.0 and spamassassin

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 09:36 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 09:24, Mark Haney wrote:
> > I typically get a couple hundred messages in my Inbox every morning at
> > work.  I upgraded to FC3 yesterday and didn't notice this issue, but
> > pulling my messages down with spamassassin running is KILLING my speed.
> > Is there any way (other than not using spamd) to speed this up a bit?
>
> If you are using a filter in your email client to run spamassassin you
> should run that filter after you have processed mailing list messages.
> Just make sure you stop processing your filters after moving the mailing
> list messages to another folder.
>
> This bypasses spamassassin for messages which rarely contain spam and
> only uses resources to check those that are more likely to be spam.
>
> If the bulk of the messages are not from mailing lists but are
> legitimate email messages then you are just to popular.  :)
>
> If on the other hand the bulk of these messages are spam and you have
> control of the MTA they are being sent to then I recommend you implement
> greylisting.  This will prevent 95% or more of the spam messages from
> ever getting on to your system. One system I implemented greylisting on
> was getting 3000 to 6000 spam messages a day, after greylisting it was
> getting 4 to 8 spam messages a day.  I was seeing the system at times
> getting bogged down trying to process all those spam messages through
> spamassassin.  It almost reached the level of a DOS attack.  After
> implementing greylisting the problem was resolved.  Very few spam get
> through and spamassassin has no problem tagging those.

Well I've got greylisting on our Exchange server (yeah I know, I hate it
too), but I have spamd checking all incoming mail during checking.  I
guess I need to get into the guts of spamd and take a look around.

> --
> Scot L. Harris
> webid@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> It's hard to think of you as the end result of millions of years of evolution.

Mark Haney
Network Administrator
InterAct Public Safety Systems
mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) Kernel: 2.6.9-1.667 GNU/Linux