Re: FC3 upgrade failure

Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
> I have this in my fstab:
>
>    /dev/hdg1                     /mnt/hdg1        ext3 rw       0 0
>
>    /mnt/hdg1/local               /usr/local       none rw,bind  0 0
>
>    /mnt/hdg1/local/var/lib/rpm   /var/lib/rpm     none rw,bind  0 0
>    /mnt/hdg1/local/var/cache/apt /var/cache/apt   none rw,bind  0 0
>    /mnt/hdg1/local/var/cache/yum /var/cache/yum   none rw,bind  0 0
>
> The FC3 upgrade will not mount these last three directories. (I think
> that /usr/local is mounted, but I don't actually remember.) The result
> is a nearly a complete failure to upgrade because no packages are
> found and hence none are upgraded. (A few packages are installed by
> default and the system might have booted had not I had SCSI driver
> problem (see my previous email.)
>
> The workaround (for me) was to delete a bunch of stuff in /var, and
> then to copy the RPM database files from /mnt/hdg1/local/var/lib/rpm
> to /var/lib/rpm.
>
> I think that a Fedora core upgrade should honor the users intentions
> as captured by the mounts in /etc/fstab, i.e. mount all possible
> drives.

As you've found, it looks like your remounts aren't being honoured.

Have you bugzillad this? Unfortunately, your e-mail is likely to just
"fall down the cracks" and get ignored. Putting it in Bugzilla will at
least leave a suitable records in the right place.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | 'Short for "Sic Transit Gloria Humanorum", which is
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | Latin for "There goes the neighbourhood!"'