Re: FC3 upgrade - X is hosed :( (LONG)

On Tuesday 09 November 2004 18:35, CB wrote:

> I've had this problem on upgrading to FC3, and this thread has
> helped a lot, so thanks (though running X without hardware
> acceleration is horrible).
>
> I must have misunderstood the Fedora release process, because I
> installed the FC3 release assuming that show-stopping bugs would
> have been eliminated, or the release would have been delayed. I
> note from Bugzilla that this problem was evident in FC3 Test3,
> and it seems pretty lax to have allowed a release knowing such a
> serious bug was present. Is a core 'release' really a beta? Does
> anyone here who follows the release process care to comment?

As to the problem, play with your resolution and bit depth settings
as well as those options mentioned in the bugzilla earlier.  I find
that my laptop, with the i810 driver, runs just fine at a 16bit
depth with DRI enabled and I don't have to resort to adding the
noaccel option.  As mentioned earlier, don't hesitate to add your
findings to the bugzilla, especially if they can shed further light
on the problems.

The i810 driver problems surfaced very early on in FC3T1 when Xorg
was making changes for their lastest major release and the symptoms
have varied widely according to the graphics controller revision
levels and models since.

As to wether it's a "show stopper" I suppose opinions will vary but
you need to understand that Fedora is "date" driven, not "funtion"
driven for the most part and it gets released even if there are
rough edges to be seen.  If you're not prepared for that, Fedora is
going to disappoint you, even as good as it is.

Regards, Mike Klinke