FC 3 - Grub hangs on stage 2

Hi
Just installed Fedora Core 3. Installs fine. Pre-installed windows Xp
which means the system is now dual boot. Reboot the system and I am
greeted with a hung up Grub on 2nd stage. its not liek grub is showing
hte string of 'chainloader adn rootnonverify' likein some earlier
cases listed here on the list .. rather its just 'Grub loading stage
2' and thats all. No change in screen. I can neither boot into windows
nor FC3.
I will appreciate any help I can get on this one.
Saadi

HP nx 9000 laptop, 2.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40GB Hitachi hard disk,