Re: FC2 and tape drives.

Juan Pablo Claude wrote:
Kevin:

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes, I have been to the how-To web site, and I agree that the Iomega drive should be supported. The trick is that both drives use different interfaces. The T3000 is FDC, whereas the Iomega has its accelerator card. So, I have to compile the ftape module for one or the other.

Not really, you can put both drives on the accelerater card if necessary. The accelerater card should be little more than a 2.88MB floppy controller (capable of 1Mbps instead of the standard 500kbps regular floppy controller). You still have to worry about how to differentiate them. Make sure that the cable on your accelerator card has the appropriate "twist" in it to "swap" the devices and you should be all set.

However, this web site: http://www.linuxtapecert.org/index.html, indicates that the ftape module supports four devices, and they mix an

Well, there *are* 4 device ID lines on the standard floppy drive cable. The fact that IBM only chose to support 2 of them in its BIOS way back when, and to do it with a "twist" in the cable between the first and second drive connector, has nothing to do with what the ftape controller will support. But, it *has* to be able to access each device via a unique device select line on the cable. How you acheive that is up to you (custom cables with the appropriate twists, or jumper the tape drives).

internal drive and a parallel port Ditto drive, as:

insmod ./ftape.o ft_fdc_driver=ftape-internal,bpck-fdc,none,none ft_tracings=3,3,0,0,3

The problem is that that is as far as the information goes. Perhaps,

I guess the authors assumed you have the same knowledge of the floppy drive interface as they do. B^{

what I could do is connect the T3000 FDC drive to the Iomega accelerator card too, as it is supposed to support a floppy drive too. Thanks again.

Yeup, that's the general idea. Good Luck!

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx