Re: Calling a program to foreground

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 09:48 +0530, Parameshwara Bhat wrote:
> 1. I have invoked wget to recursively download a web directory in the
> background. I would like to see from time time what & how it is doing.
> Is it possible to call it to foreground,check and resend it to
> background again ?

If you close the terminal while wget is running then wget essentially
becomes a daemon.  As far as I know you can't reattach it to another
terminal.  When detached from a terminal wget redirects output to a
wget-log file.

I know of two options:
  1) start wget from within a screen.  see "man screen" for usage.
  2) "tail -f wget-log" to follow the log file on a new terminal.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/