Re: Calling a program to foreground

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 14:18, Parameshwara Bhat wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I need a quick help with two things,
>
> 1. I have invoked wget to recursively download a web directory in the
> background. I would like to see from time time what & how it is doing.
> Is it possible to call it to foreground,check and resend it to
> background again ?
>
> 2.Even in a recursive download, is it possible to leave off in the
> middle and continue from there  after some time ?
>
> Man page is not fully clear to me.Thanks in advance.
>
> Parameshwara Bhat

1. To recall to forground a backgrounded process run
#jobs
[1] <some background job>
[2] <some background job>
.
.

This will give you a list of jobs currently running in the background.
They will have numbers such as 1, 2 etc. To access each job, just put a
% sign infront of their number. To forground job 2 for example, run

fg %2

To background again, as long as the process is still running, just type
# ^Z (control key and Z) to suspend the process. eg
# updatedb &
#jobs
[1]-  Running                 updatedb &
#fg %1
^Z
[1]+  Stopped 		updatedb
# bg
[1]+ updatedb &

Could you just not do a listing of the directory tree or size thereof to
see how it is going? for example, in the console window run:

#while : ; do du -sk <download dir>; sleep 10; done

or

#watch du -sk <download dir>

or whatever command you like to use for a progress update?

ta, gb