Re: Finding the SSID of a Wireless Network

Pybe wrote:

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:05:58 -0400, rab <rab@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jon Savage wrote:
I would have thought that at a hotel, they would broadcast the ssid. How
is it that XP users connect automatically? At home, my laptop connects
automatically (of course I have told it the encryption info). How do XP
users connect automatically without telling their computer anything?
It's a mystery to me. In using the network configuration program, it
asks about managed, channel, WEP, ssid, whether to use DHCP etc. I've
tried changing all the parameters at a hotel or at school but the green
light on the card always just blinks. (At home, as soon as the card is
plugged in the green light comes on and does not blink.) I've also tried
disabling the firewall (just temporarily) to see if that were the
problem (the front desk suggested it). At one hotel they told you the
SSID ("LODGE" - all caps). I had to use a wireless bridge plugged into
the built-in ethernet port and this worked perfectly. What would be a
"typical" configuration for a hotel? (The card I'm using is 802.11b.) I
tried following the directions at school for Red Hat but still would
never work.

Set the ssid to any & it will connect to any connection automatically. I use this on my laptop and other than when connecting to WEP secured networks you dont have to touch anything just set to any, no wep & dhcp.

HTH
Pybe

Just to make sure I understand, do you mean I should enter the characters "any" in the input box for SSID? I either put in the known SSID or leave it blank. Thanks.

Rick B.