Finding the SSID of a Wireless Network

Is there a way to determine the SSID of a wireless network? I have never been able to connect to a hotel network or one at my university, even though it works fine with my home wireless network. I don't understand why I can't connect. I set up the card to use DHCP. At the unversity, I even put in the SSID. The card is a D-Link DWL-650 (uses the prism2 chipset). The card works perfectly with my home wireless network under Linux. I've tried using the card under XP (the laptop dual boots) but even with the latest windows drivers, XP crashes EVERY time if the card is plugged in/

Rick B.