Re: Looking for backup software of complete system

While we are still working out the bugs in an unexpected change of
management (the original author got promoted by the Guy Upstairs),
folks looking for backup solutions should give serious thought to
rsync-based disk-to-disk backups.  I am acting manager for one package
(see http://www.dirvish.org, and http://www.keithl.com/linuxbackup.html ),
and there are others.

rsync/dirvish is fast, inexpensive, and restoring single files or
subsystems is random access and dead easy.  With some advanced
preparation, I can restore an exact image of my server hard drive with
a reboot and about a minute of typing, followed by the time required
to copy a disk image - 2 hours for 80gb in my case.  I can very easily
combine restores, using (for example) a two-week-old base, then
upgrades, then yesterday's user files, to recover from a system crack.
All from one script, off the same backup drive.

Backup media cost about $0.50/GB US, including swap cages for the
drives; this wildly exaggerates the operating cost, though.  Using
reiserfs and Unix hard links on the target drive, I can get hundreds
of full nightly images into a 2X sized drive, so I can store 100X
more images per dollar using rsync.   While I can expire older
images, I do not bother.  When a triplet of backup disks (I do a 3
way rotation) finally fill up, I just retire them to offsite storage.

As a consultant, I am required by some contracts to destroy my copies
of client data after the end of a contract.  It is easy enough to just
scribble over the particular client's data on a hard drive, leaving
the rest intact, or else erase the files and all their links.  I
can't do that with tapes.

The entire process for my systems (5 machines, including one off-site)
takes about an hour. It really thrashes the network, but rsync is
checking every byte on every machine, and moving all the bytes that
change, every night.  The biggest problem is to remember to rotate
the drives daily into the fire-resistant safe, away from power supply
failures and prying script kiddies.  When I forget, I do not lose data,
but my survivability suffers.

I have an Exabyt tape jukebox sitting next to the server, and I suppose
I could be making occasional full image copies to that, but it is so
time consuming, and the tapes are so unreliable and slow to verify,
that it really doesn't seem worth the effort.  I have done tapes for
20 years, and the extreme pain of pulling files back off a tape is
never welcome.  Single file restore from tape can take hours, depending
on how much effort you put into file-level cataloging.  The longest it
takes with the hard-drive backup is about 5 minutes, assuming I have
the right backup drive on-site.  Of course, the drives take up a small
fraction of the space, too.  Hard drives are a little more fragile,
but a dropped tape is easily damaged, too.  I have padded boxes for
drive transport.

My next improvement will probably be to run a second ethernet over
to a neighboring building, and blow a copy of the nightly backups
over there, too.  That will take my Mean Time To Catastrophic Failure,
currently dominated by a total gutting fire or room-emptying theft,
down from 1/50y to 1/200y.

I've mentioned some of this stuff before, and I repeat here occasionally
until more folks use rsync.  This is selfish;  when more of you use
D2D backups, more of you will be pushing for datex logrotate, more
robust reiserfs, and faster drive-to-drive copy tools.

Again, check the sites above.  Tapes are obsolete.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          keithl@xxxxxxxxxx         Voice (503)-520-1993