Re: OT: spammers are using my domain again

On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 16:40, Phillip T. George wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> >The "proper" solution to this is really to use SMTP submission on port
> >587. This should use SMTP AUTH and should work from anywhere if your
> >hosting service provides it. It's not open to relay because of the SMTP
> >AUTH requirement and hence nobody should be blocking port 587.
> >
> >Paul.
> >

> Paul,
>
> Very interesting.  Where did you come up with this solution from?  I
> haven't heard of port 587 being used for any kind of SMTP...But googling
> it reveals quite a bit, and browsing /etc/services it shows it listed as
> well.  Don't know how I looked over this....

I can't remember where I saw it first; it may have been on a
spam-related mailing list where port 25 blocking was being discussed, or
it may have been from building my own RPMs for sendmail, as sendmail has
come configured with an MSA daemon on port 587 "out of the box" for some
time now (since 8.10.0 I think).

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>