Re: cant mount drive

On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 20:07, Thornton wrote:
> > Try using cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI
> >
> > Also, as previously noted, if you are using the 2.6.8 kernel it has
> > burning disabled for a non-root user.  That does not seem to be your
> > error though.
> >
> > rebooting will kill all processes, but will not stop nautilus from
> > launching the cdcreator window when a blank CD is inserted.
> >
> > Does the cdcreator window open when the disk is inserted? without having
> > the burner software loaded?
> >
> > Are you logged in at command line or with X running?
>
> When I run that I get this output.
>
> cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
> Schilling
> Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
> Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
> Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
> Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
> this version.
> scsidev: 'ATAPI'
> devname: 'ATAPI'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Use of ATA is preferred over ATAPI.
> Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
> Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be
> unmaintained.
> Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
> scsibus0:
>         0,0,0     0) 'AOPEN   ' 'CD-RW CRW5232   ' '1.03' Removable
> CD-ROM
>         0,1,0     1) *
>         0,2,0     2) *
>         0,3,0     3) *
>         0,4,0     4) *
>         0,5,0     5) *
>         0,6,0     6) *
>         0,7,0     7) *

This identifies the CDROM as device 0,0,0 on the scsi devices.

However, that is not used for mounting the cdrom filesystem but is used
for burning cds.

mounting a cdrom filesystem should be done by a command such as "mount
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom"

Have you changed anything since installing Linux?  What version are you
running (FC1 or FC2)?  This will affect how you access the cdrom.

For example, when I install Linux the system defines the CDROM as
/dev/cdrom (the physical device is /dev/hdd) and the only module loaded
is ide-cd for it.  If you changed the module loaded (added ide-scsi for
example) it will change the device used for mounting and  for
accessing.  It also disrupts automount and other functions.

FC1 and FC2 are different in the way they handle CD burning.  FC1 still
used ide-scsi, but FC2 does not (the change from the 2.4 kernel to the
2.6 kernel was the cause).