Re: OT: spammers are using my domain again

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 03:12:44PM +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:

This won't actually stop them spoofing your domain (most spammers aren't terribly bright, as can be seen from the many spams landing in my junkmail folder these days with "Received: from %RNDDIGIT[1]%RNDDIGIT[2]" etc. in the headers). However, you'll feel better knowing that a few less of their spams get through to sites implementing SPF checks or running SpamAssassin 3.x.

It won't stop them from doing it, but it makes it very easy for anyone to
see that the messages are forged. Eventually, when enough people check, it
_will_ stop them.

I know; I publish and check and one of my domains does get spoofed by spammers from time to time, albeit at quite a managably low level.

An unfortunate side-effect of both publishing and checking is that from time to time I reject a virus trying to spoof one of my domains, and then the originating ISP's mail server then sends me the resulting bounce, which isn't a forgery so it doesn't get rejected.

Paul.