Re: File system fragmentation

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 09:25, Mark Haney wrote:

> Yeah, it's a start.  I pretty much figured it was going to be the same
> story as any other file system.  I push my systems hard.  And I have
> lots of small files which doesn't really help.
>
> Now, can anyone tell me if a defragmenter would help for ext3?  Or not?
> It helps a ton with NTFS, but would the same thing happen to a linux fs?

For the most part ext3 file systems do not suffer from the same kinds of
issues that NTFS or FAT32 file systems suffered from.  From past
discussions on this issue ext3 does a fairly good job of minimizing the
fragmentation of files.  As such there does not appear to be a
requirement for tools to perform defragmentation on ext3 file systems.

I seem to recall a discussion on the ximian mailing list regarding slow
response with evolution.  I don't remember all of the specifics (you
should probably go make a search through the archives on that list) but
you might want to try rebuilding the indexes you use for your mbox
files.  I also assume you are not storing all you email in a single mbox
file but in various subfolders so they have their own mbox files.  I
have 10's of thousands of messages in my evolution folders and have not
had any performance issues with evolution.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Be careful when you bite into your hamburger.
		-- Derek Bok