Re: Email Server

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Sunday 19 September 2004 07:37, Seb E. Payne wrote:
> >Thanks for your quick responses. So I think that Postfix is the best
> >thing to use.
> >
> >I want to use IMAP Access, Spam Checking, possibly Virus checking
> > and webmail. I have seen this Webmail which includes groupware
> > facilites called PHPGroupware (www.phpgroupware.org). So for a
> > email server, I would need the following:
> >
> >1. Postfix MTA - To receive the mail
> >2. Courier IMAP - To allow the clients to access the email
> >3. PHP Groupware - Groupware and Webmail
> >4. Spam Assassin - Spam Filtering
> >
> >Is this correct or do I need more than this?
>
> Take a look at QMail too.  We've been using it at the tv station
> <http://www.wdtv.com> for several years with good results.
>
> Its versatile enough that I have an account on it accessible from
> home, it doesn't relay and the filtering is fairly decent.  And it
> scales well to business account sized numbers of clients without
> needing a lot of big iron to do it.

And the original author is no longer maintaining it and it is NOT open source.
You cannot distribute a modified QMail source. Any modifications to bring it up
to the task of handling mail in this day and age must be done by 3rd party
patches. It is not included in Fedora nor is it ever likely to be given the
current license. I know of nothing that QMail can do that postfix cannot. I am
sure someone can come up with some obscure patch that adds some functionality
that is not in postfix but I do not see the point.

I will second the recommendation for postfix. It is currently maintained, it
is much easier to configure than sendmail and there is a very active and
friendly postfix community willing to help. On top of that it is included in
Fedora core, which means you do not have to collect the program and all of
the 3rd party patches you need compile and configure the thing.

As another data point I recently inherited a QMail system. Granted it works
but it lacks a lot of features that are standard with postfix. I am sure that
if I looked I could find some 3rd party patches to add functionality but for
me it was infinitely easier to just relay all mail destined for the QMail
box through one of my postfix boxes. That way I get the best of both worlds.
:-)

IMO, QMail is just not worth the effort to maintain. Oh and one other thing
the logging available with QMail is garbage. AFAICS there is no way to get
anywhere near the detail needed to efficiently troubleshoot a problem. I have
tried and even QMail bigot I know admit that the logging sucks.

HTH,

Tom