RE: to newcomers: please try to solve the problem yourself before asking

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:48:59 -0400, Mike wrote:

> You give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. You teach a man to fish,
> and you feed him for life.
>
> Dana_Renee, whether you like it or not, that is how most lists work.

Indeed -- and replying "Go look in the archives" is about like handing him
a manual on fishing, in a language he doesn't know.

Some of us make a point of *trying* to use archives, the search function
on message boards, etc., etc. -- just so we can say we've done it, and not
get snapped at. But it is rare, to put it mildly, to find anything you
*can* use that way, even after you've been using and trying to learn linux
for several years.

I don't remember, for instance, the last time I got any good at all out of
a man page -- though most of them seem, afaict, to be very helpful to
those advanced enough to comprehend them ....

The same thing happens in other fields, all the time. Advanced students
forget how much beginners don't know and can't do.

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!