Re: Disabling IRQ #11

Bill Shannon wrote:

Brian Fahrlander wrote:

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 23:25, Bill Shannon wrote:

I upgraded my Fedora Core 1 system (Dell 4550) to Fedora Core 2.
What a disaster!  Lots of stuff no longer works!

Try a couple of kernel options: "noacpi" and/or apic=no.

    (Worked for me: it's the newer kernels.)

At first it seemed like that helped, but it only delayed the problem.

(First, let me make sure I'm doing this right.  In grub.conf I changed
"options ide-cd ignore=hdd" to "options ide-cd ignore=hdd noacpi" and
rebooted.  After booting the system, how can I tell that this had the
desired effect?)

I still can't login as myself.

I even set up a completely new account, no dot files, and can't login
to that account either.  At best, the login process is *very* slow.
It takes over 5 minutes to display all the icons on the login screen
as it starts things up.  But it never gets far enough to show me the
desktop.  I have to kill gnome-session to bring it back.

Usually somewhere in the process I'll get the "Disabling IRQ #11"
message and then the network connection dies.  (Of course, since
that's the IRQ the ethernet is using.)  But if I had just killed
gnome-session, and I'm back at the login screen when this happens,
I can use the menus on the login screen to shutdown the system.

BTW, here's what /proc/interrupts looks like on FC2:

CPU0
0: 399303 XT-PIC timer
1: 40 XT-PIC i8042
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
3: 0 XT-PIC ehci_hcd
8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
9: 0 XT-PIC acpi, uhci_hcd
10: 0 XT-PIC uhci_hcd
11: 26207 XT-PIC uhci_hcd, eth0, r128@PCI:1:0:0, Intel 82801DB-ICH4
12: 84 XT-PIC i8042
14: 12068 XT-PIC ide0
15: 1182 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
ERR: 0

One noticeable difference between FC1 and FC2 here is that on FC2
IRQ #11 includes "r128@PCI:1:0:0", which I assume is my ATI Rage 128
Pro Ultra video card.  Is it possible there's something wrong there?
It doesn't seem like it since everything works fine if I login as root.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Where else should I look for clues?

In the post where you show things going wrong, you have usb AND ethernet on 11. You say you have no usb devices.

How about this test then? = Disable USB in the BIOS and see what happens.

Regards,
Ed.