RE: to newcomers: please try to solve the problem yourself before asking

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Kenneth Porter wrote:

--On Friday, September 10, 2004 8:51 PM -0600 Dana-Renee Lee <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If I was a new comer to Fedora I would find this message VERY
OFFENDING!!!! This list exists because of new comers and old comers using
Fedora!!!

Did you read ESR's article? You might check out this part in particular:

<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#not_losing>

not to be just plain contrary, but can we tone down the eric raymond FAQ worship here just a touch? yes, there's lots of good advice there, but it's also a fact that raymond loves to give advice that he doesn't feel applies to him. case in point -- the flamefest on the linux kernel mailing list once upon a time when raymond tried very hard to get his version of a new kernel build system adopted (it lost out to the current Kconfig system). feel free to read about that at:

http://lwn.net/2002/0221/kernel.php3

where it begins, "The net gods are not entirely without mercy." my point being only that raymond typically talks a good talk, but doesn't always walk it. so take what he says with just a grain of skepticism.

rday

p.s. i might also point out that, for someone who presumes to lecture others on mailing list etiquette, raymond has an annoying habit of appending overly-verbose sigs to some of his posts, reminding everyone of his fondness for firearms, as you can see here:

http://lwn.net/2002/0221/a/the-beginning.php3

as the saying goes, yes, eric raymond is a very bright guy. just ask him.