Re: SCSI tape drive with Adaptec adapter...

Tom Taylor wrote:
If you have a terminator on the end of the cable then the on-drive terminator should be set to OFF or NOT ACTIVE. Having two terminators causes an improper load on the controller resulting in errors. Don't think that is the REAL problem here though.

Yes, when I switched to the cable with the built in terminator I disabled the tape drive's on-board termination.

It's been several years since I used a 2940 and don't remember the cards configuration settings. Have you tried the Adaptec and Seagate (they bought Conner) web sites?

The Adaptec 2940s are fairly basic SCSI cards that have been around for ages. I used to use this card and tape drive in a different box several years ago with Red Hat 7.2 and 7.3 and never had any problems with it. "It just worked" back then.

-- Greg Gulik http://www.gulik.org/greg/ greg @ gulik.org