Re: Dumb Question: Installing new version of Kopete

James Wilkinson wrote:
Andrey Andreev wrote:

BTW, maybe I shall mention that modern Linux does not have a directory organization similiar to Windows's "Program Files". Our binaries usually go in /usr/bin, our libraries in /usr/lib, our configuration files in /etc, etc.. We tend to use some packaging system (RPM for Fedora, and many others) to keep track of what goes where, and do the management (uninstalls, upgrades, etc).

Look at

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/index.html

and look at some RPM documentation. to get a clearer idea of how it works.

Well, there have been variations on the theme, but that must predate
Linux by at least ten years...

I agree, but there has been abuse of /usr/local by distros in the past, and we've been seeing less and less of it recently, which is what I referred to when I said "modern".

Note that there are similar trees under /usr/local (e.g. /usr/local/bin
instead of /usr/bin). It's been recommended since RPMs were new that if
you're compiling from source (without using rpmbuild and / or rpm), you
should configure the program to put files there, rather than in /usr/bin
or wherever. This keeps them out the way of the RPM-installed files, and
makes it that much easier to clean them out later.

Sure, but I'd point out that the OP's files are likely to end up in /usr, rather than /usr/local. Otherwise, this is wise advice to people writing makefiles.

Many people find it easier in the long run to build RPMs.

//Andro