Dumb Question: Installing new version of Kopete

Hi,

I have the new version of Kopete that I want to install.  Kopete.kde.org have
instructions of the form:

>>This is a hotfix update for the Yahoo and ICQ protocol problems that many of
our users have been experiencing recently. There are a few things to note
about this release though: 1. This will only compile and work with KDE 3.2.
Compatibility with KDE 3.1 is neither implied or guaranteed. 2. You should
install the RPMs that came with your distro first. 3. You must install this
tarball over your current installation of Kopete or you will have problems.
When you run the configure script, here's the recommended command for getting
it right:"./configure --prefix=`kde-config --prefix`"

However, I'm too dumb to figure out how to install this, as I can't even
figure out where my current version of Kopete is installed.  Can someone
explain to me what I should do with my nice tar file?

I'm assuming I need to untar into the Kopete directory, and the tar will
contain a configure script, but need help figuring out which directory to go
to.

Thanks