Re: Dumb Question: Installing new version of Kopete

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 12:38, Andrey Andreev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jo O'Connor wrote:
>
> > However, I'm too dumb to figure out how to install this, as I can't even
> > figure out where my current version of Kopete is installed.  Can someone
>
> BTW, maybe I shall mention that modern Linux does not have a directory
> organization similiar to Windows's "Program Files". Our binaries usually
> go in /usr/bin, our libraries in /usr/lib, our configuration files in
> /etc, etc.. We tend to use some packaging system (RPM for Fedora, and
> many others) to keep track of what goes where, and do the management
> (uninstalls, upgrades, etc).
>
> Look at
>
> http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/index.html
>
> and look at some RPM documentation. to get a clearer idea of how it works.
>
> Regards,
>
> Andrey

A couple of good commands to know are

whereis  commandname
locate commandname

Both of these will help you find where a particular file is located.
whereis uses a database which is updated using updatedb command.

locate searches your current users paths for the command.

Check out the man page on both for more information.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Where are the calculations that go with a calculated risk?