Re: Nautilus slow to browse samba shares

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:13:02 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> I have to say this has been the biggest issue I have had with FC2 other
> than poor wireless support.  Now I can actually see this starting to work
> and hopefully with a little more tweaking it will be fully functioning as
> it was under FC1.
>
> Now the remaining problem appears to be some kind of interaction with
> nautilus and iptables when accessing samba or windows shares.

Well wha'dyaknow?  I apparently stumbled upon the answer to
my problem. I inserted: "domain master = yes" into smb.conf on the Samba
server and things just started working.  Here is my entire, working,
smb.conf:

[global]
	workgroup = (obfuscated)
	server string = Samba Server
	unix password sync = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 50
	domain master = Yes
	dns proxy = No
	ldap ssl = no
	idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
	idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
	hosts allow = 192.168.0.

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
	hosts allow =

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

(I also added password syncing but that has nothing to do with things).
This is for a stand alone machine hosting its own workgroup and the Unix
users. I restarted the smb service a half dozen times and each time I was
able to browse the workgroup and shares within a few seconds.

I also discovered that Nautilus is a little flakey.  There were times I
would receive the "Sorry, couldn't display..." error message and just
clicking "reload" would then finish bringing up that window.  I actually
went out and got another smb browser that exhibits none of this flakiness.
 It's a little KDE app called Smb4k.  Rather nice.  (Aside: this is the
 second kde app I like better than any Gnome counterpart.  The other being
K3B for CD burning.)

So it would seem that my Samba troubles are history, knock on wood.