Re: route (is it forwarding packets?) (sorry if duplicate).

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 09:27, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> The first time I saw it I went on a hunt checking for rootkits and
> tunnels.  I still don't understand why this is even included.  I have
> yet to hear of a system starting up with no information and
> automatically get network connectivity.  Other than generating a lot of
> questions by inquisitive people I can not find a benefit in this
> "service".

The idea is that an idiot can plug a few machines into an
isolated network hub/switch and they will come up able to
talk to each other with some broadcast name resolution scheme
like netbios.  However, nobody really wants to do that these
days because you need DNS and something to NAT you to a public
address to get on the internet.  And if you have that, it will
also be smart enough to hand out working addresses via DHCP.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx