Re: route (is it forwarding packets?) (sorry if duplicate).

On Wednesday 25 August 2004 08:39, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> That route is part of the zero configuration project.  You can
> get rid of this by adding the line:

> Now why anyone would want this I don't know.  And why it mucks up
> the routing tables when you do have networking configured I don't
> know. Personally it looks like a huge security hole that will
> explode when enough systems have been infected with this stuff.

Like you, I have wondered at the reasoning behind setting this route
even if you have another valid, working route/interface.  Windows
98 was the first OS I saw this on and I was surprised when RH9 came
out with it.  Windows boxen, however, don't enable it if a
otherwise valid route/interface is discovered and I don't know if
Mac still enables it or not. I'm not sure it's any more expoitable
than a valid IP address but it sure was unexpected and the first
thing I do is disable it after configuring a new system.

Regards, Mike Klinke