Re: nvidia problems again....

Bonjour Francois --

>From: François Patte <Francois.Patte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

>I installed nvidia stuff according to the livna web page claiming that it is
>better to use their rpm package than the "official" nvidia-installer from
>nvidia site... So now the problems:

Did you try the nvidia installer?  It worked fine for me.  I'm not sure why the
packages compiled for someone else's configuration is supposed to  be better.

For help, the linux discussion group at www.nvidia.com is a better place for answers
than this list.  (That discussion group be accessed from the page for the drivers.)

>When I use modprobe to install the nvidia module (from
>kernel-module-nvidia-2.4.22-1.2199.nptl-1.0.6106-0.lvn.4.1 package), I'm warned
>that the kernel will be tainted. Is there anything to do to avoid this?

I think tainted just means that it is not pure open source anymore (since the NVIDIA
driver is proprietary code).  In principle, this could be a security risk (although I
doubt NVIDIA would risk their reputation by including anything malicious in the code)
and also affects your right to redistribute the kernel (not an issue for most of us).

-- Phil