Re: "FAILED" to "bring up" eth0

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Phil Thomson wrote:

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 15:09, Phil Thomson wrote:
Hi all,

After no less than three attempts, I finally got Fedora Core 2 installed
and booting on an old 233 with 64 MB of RAM that I found in the garbage
(!). But now, upon boot, Fedora tries to "bring up" eth0 for a long time
before saying it "FAILED". Does this simply mean the ethernet adapter is
broken (given that I found this box in the trash, that may well be, though
it seems perfectly functional in all other ways)? Or is there a .conf file
or something I need to tweak somewhere?

Did you configure the ethernet adapter? It may just be trying to get a DHCP address, and cannot find a server. Configure the network card for your network, and then try to activate it. If you don't know how to configure it or activate it, just let us know.

Forrest

During the install, I chose DHCP for my network connection method. I don't think I came across any other screens for network or ethernet config. I looked around in /etc for something related to network or dhcp, but didn't see anyting obvious.

My network sitch: small home network with 3 computers on a hub (in my
room) and three other computers in other rooms connected to a 4-port
router upstairs. The router address is 192.168.0.1. It contains a DHCP
server for the home network and it's our gateway to the internet. What do
I need to tell Fedora to do to get on the network?

This may be a silly question, but aside from asking if there's a cable from the Fedora system to your hub, is there any cabling between the hub in your room and the router upstairs? If not, you'll never get a DHCP address...there needs to be communication.

If there is a cable between your hub and the router, and there's a cable
between your computer and the hub, my next question is going to be whether
or not your're plugged into a port, on your hub, that might be set up as
an uplink port (ie, crossover enabled).

This is a very sensible question actually, and something I should have checked sooner. I have 3 computers (including this one) hooked up to the hub. My Mac OS X iBook (on which I am writing this very email) and my other PC are both able to talk to the router.

I did just now try different cables (in case there was a bad cable) and different ports on the hub, but nothing changed. My Fedora box still can't reach the router.

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949