Re: "FAILED" to "bring up" eth0

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 02:51, Phil Thomson wrote:

> > This may be a silly question, but aside from asking if there's a cable
> > from the Fedora system to your hub, is there any cabling between the hub
> > in your room and the router upstairs?  If not, you'll never get a DHCP
> > address...there needs to be communication.
> >
> > If there is a cable between your hub and the router, and there's a cable
> > between your computer and the hub, my next question is going to be whether
> > or not your're plugged into a port, on your hub, that might be set up as
> > an uplink port (ie, crossover enabled).
>
> This is a very sensible question actually, and something I should have
> checked sooner. I have 3 computers (including this one) hooked up to the
> hub. My Mac OS X iBook (on which I am writing this very email) and my
> other PC are both able to talk to the router.
>
> I did just now try different cables (in case there was a bad cable) and
> different ports on the hub, but nothing changed. My Fedora box still can't
> reach the router.

A couple of things to look at,

1. Can confirm that you have link with the switch?  (should be an led on
the switch port you plug the linux box into)

2. Recommend you hard code an address on the linux box at first to
eliminate possible problems with DHCP.  Select and address that is
unused on your LAN and configure the box with that.  You should also
configure the default gateway and include your DNS servers used by the
other systems.

3. On the router how many addresses are allocated for use by DHCP?  If
you have used all of them then a new box will not be allocated an
address.

4. Is the hub being used 10Mbit or 100Mbit?  You may need to lock down
your NIC to the proper speed and duplex settings.

Once you have manually configured the IP address and other information
you should be able to ping the other machines on your LAN.  If that
works then you need to look at the DHCP setup to see what is wrong.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid@xxxxxxxxxx>