Re: Network configuration probelms (still)

>Am So, den 22.08.2004 schrieb Kellie Blackwell um 22:55:
>
>> >cat /proc/interrupts
>>
>>                CPU0
>>    0:     4692579:    XT-PIC  timer
>>    1:           2881:    XT-PIC  i8042
>>    2:                 0:    XT-PIC  cascade
>>    5:               95:    XT-PIC  uhci_hcd
>>    8:                 1:    XT-PIC  rtc
>>  10:                 1:    XT-PIC  EMU10K1
>>  12:         74970:    XT-PIC  i8042
>>  14:         17812:    XT-PIC  ide0
>>  15:         42972:    XT-PIC  ide1
>> NMI:              0:
>> ERR:               0:
>>
>> Interesting! Where did IRQ 11 go that was mentioned in the messages file?
>
>I do not see the "natsemi" module loaded there. Make sure
>/etc/modprobe.conf has following line
>
>alias eth0 natsemi

Ah-ha!!! This line was not in the /etc/modprobe.conf file. I added it,
rebooted and voila! Now I have an eth0 reported by ifconfig, IRQ 11 shows up
in /proc/interrupts and I can get to the internet The ERR line in
/proc/interrupts now shows 1. I'm guessing that means I still have an error
of some kind? Also there are a few extra lines in /var/log/messages on of
which says "eth0: link up".

Thank you Alexander!!!

>> >cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>>
>> DEVICE=eth0
>> ONBOOT=yes
>> BOOTPROTO=none
>> USERCTL=no
>> NAME='ethernet LAN card"
>
>The quotes are unbalanced. Put a # in front of the NAME line.

That's just my bad typing. Since I had no networking on my computer, I had
to write all the file contents by hand.

>> IPADDR=192.168.1.20
>> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>> BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
>> NETWORK=192.168.1.0
>> GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
>> PEERDNS=yes
>>
>> Steve.
>
>So what happens if running "modprobe -v natsemi" in the syslog? Run a
>second terminal with "tail -f /var/log/messages" to see that in parallel
>to loading the module. Does the eth0 then use an IRQ? "service network
>restart" should activate eth0 and show it in "ifconfig" output.
>
>Alexander

Steve