Re: wonder

Peter Cannon wrote:

On Tuesday 17 Aug 2004 16:25, The wise and knowledgeable Edward Croft proclaimed:

Caloy, when you boot the system there is usually a prompt to get into
the Bios. Some use Del, others F2, or some other key. You need to hit
that key as the system boots. Once in the bios, do not change anything.
You want to look at how much memory it says you have. My guess is 64mb
given that you said it had 98 on it. My guess is that the Hard Drive is
what is 5gb. If this is the case, you may need to search the web to find
memory for that system. Or you could run it without X. (Run level 3)

I managed to get White Box Linux (a derivative of Red Hat) to run in graphical mode (not for long mind) on a Digital HiNote P133, 40MB 3GB partition no CDROM.

Why not have a look at Slackware or Peanut Linux they will be less demanding.

Not that I'm trying to put you off FC.

Thanks for that gem, Pete. I have an ancient (exhorbitantly expensive) Gateway2000 laptop that has a P133 chip and 40Mb of RAM and a 2Gb HDD. If I can find the time, I might just put one of those on it - just to see if it the laptop can handle it; otherwise, it will have to go, I am afraid

--
Chris Jones
mailto:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx