Re: Restoring passwd and shadow files

Tsutomu wrote:
> rh9 to rh9 should work out fine...not too sure about fc1 to fc2
> however.  there may be some changes in uids which i not too sure about
> you may want to dig a bit deeper in that particular situation.

find / -nogroup -o -nouser
(as root) will find any files which don't have a valid user or group.
The advice to leave system users alone is good.

If you combine the two, you should find all the problems.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "When I hear the history of some of the more ugly
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | European cities, with "... destroyed in 14xx, burnt in