Re: status of nmh

steve_dum@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Can someone tell me why nmh was dropped from FC2?
> I know a number of folks still using mh for email.

Officially? "nmh â No longer part of Fedora Core profile"
(http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/). In other words, as I
understand it, while Fedora and the rest of the world have moved on,
nmh hasn't. It's no longer considered the mailer of choice for enough
purposes, and has too many drawbacks.

This LWN article (http://lwn.net/Articles/89403/) shows some of the
problems that it faced, and some of the partial solutions.

Besides, anyone who would want to run nmh is supposed to be more than
capable of compiling it for themselves (and the old binaries should
still run).

I must admit, I was temporarily phased, since I was experimenting with
Sylpheed and procmail. Sylpheed uses mh mail directories, and the
recommended way of using procmail with those (that I found) uses one
of the mh programs to deliver the e-mail.

(I now use neither sylpheed nor mh mail directories).

"Oh well.. we didnt know both users of mh ran Fedora 8)" -- Alan Cox
(http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-April/msg00193.html).

James.
--
E-mail address: james | actor: (n) a piece of scenery that has the audacity
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | to move once lit.